Saturday, December 26, 2009

Why are you not supposed to use cooking oils/spray with non-stick frying pans?

I have a Pampered Chef Frying pan. If I cannot use oils, how do I fry?Why are you not supposed to use cooking oils/spray with non-stick frying pans?
A little oil is fine. No where does it say not to use oil. What they don't recommend is sprays like Pam because it tends to cause a sticky buildup that is hard to get off. The great thing with nonstick especially a nonstick quality pan is that you don't need much oil and it cooks evenly.Why are you not supposed to use cooking oils/spray with non-stick frying pans?
Some of the cooking sprays can cause staining of the pan.


What happens is the spray goes all over and when the pan heats up the cooking oil and the propellants that are used burn onto the surface of the pan. This builds up over time and while it is harmless it is unsightly and I would guess that they do not want to take the pans back when you finally notice the build up. It can be cleaned off but on a non stick pan the coating may come off.
I've never heard the ';do not use'; oils w/ it. I fry and saute in oil and butter all the time in my nonstick skillets. As long asyou use plastic or wooden utensils to avoid scratchign the surface, there shoudl be no problem.
Supposedly you don't have to. But even with a non stick pan, I still use cooking oil and/or pam. a little bit of searing is still nice. you can't use them for deep frying though, too much heat would peel off the teflon.
you can't use sprays, but oil is fine. The spray tends to make pans sticky.
No reason you CANNOT us an oil. I think the point is that you DONT NEED oil.
Unless it's high quality as has a good coat of non stick, I'd use a little oil

No comments:

Post a Comment