Saturday, December 26, 2009

Which Cooking Oil for Chicken?

Which cooking oil would you recommend for baked chicken cutlets?


I have tried a few, vegtable, olive, and peanut, but which one ';should'; i use?.. what would a chef use?.. when i read the labels they all seem the same regarding fats and calories.., but what about flavor?.. I used peanut oil last and i thought it was good.. No?... thanks for your thoughts and info.Which Cooking Oil for Chicken?
If you use Olive Oil and want that taste use Extra Virgin but watch the temperature.





I use whatever I have, as there is little taste difference.





There isn't one you should use.


Use one that will 'work' for you,





Save your EV Olive for dressings and Peanut for hot frying. They are the most expensive and aren't really required.





Most vhefs will recommend what ever they believein at the time, and as a rule do not need to worry about price.





TV chefs will use whatever oil is given to them in return for there product to be advertised.


Canola and Soyabean are the two I find will do well, theyboth have good flashpoints. (when they will burn)Which Cooking Oil for Chicken?
To select the proper oil for cooking anything, the first consideration is the cooking method to be used.


Olive oil tends to impart the most flavor to foods, but has a low smoking temperature which means that at high heat, it will break down and lend a somewhat burnt flavor to foods. Peanut oil, on the other hand, has one of the highest smoking temperature points and therefore the best to use in sauteing or frying. It is also much more expensive than olive oil. And when I refer to olive oil here, I am not including extra virgin or light olive oil, which is best used in salad dressings.


Health concerns aside, if I was baking chicken cutlets, I would use butter, unsalted, or vegetable oil.





If you are not totally confused at this point, great!
I vary the oil depending on the meal I am making and the temperature I will be cooking at. The different oils have different smoke points, so some may be suitable for low heat cooking but not high heat (like peanut).





In general, I use:


Peanut and/or refined sesame oil for Asian Food


Peanut oil for Mexican Food


Olive or grapeseed oil for Italian or American Food


Coconut oil for Thai Food (lower heat)
olive oil.
all you need is a cooking spray oil...it will cut the calories. Isn'n that why you are baking them?
i love olive oil with chicken, it gives it a really nice flavor ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment