Saturday, December 26, 2009

Which cooking oil is better?

vegetable, corn, or canola?Which cooking oil is better?
CanolaWhich cooking oil is better?
It depends on what you are cooking.


If you are sauteing I like olive oil, it is also great to cook eggs in. But you cant bake with it. For baking you want to use vegetable oil or a healthier choice of Canola oil. Choose corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, soy oil or canola oil if you wish to fry foods as these oils have higher smoke point. It is best not to fry with olive oil as its smoke point is only about 190C/375F. The ';ideal'; cooking oil should contain higher amount of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and with minimal or no saturated fats and trans fats.


* Good Cooking Oils:


o canola oil


o flax seed oil


o peanut oil


o olive oil


o non-hydrogenated soft margarine


o safflower oil


o sunflower oil


o corn oil





* Bad Cooking Oils: ( high trans fat or saturated fats)


o Vegetable shortening


o Hard margarine


o Butter


o Palm oil


o Palm kernel oil


o Coconut oil
They are all very close. There has been some controversy over the use of canola (once thought to be the healthiest). I suggest you google canola oil to see some of the write-ups. I have personally dismissed them but it is worth reading if you have concerns.





Vegetable oil can contain corn or canola oil (and others) , and is not an oil in its own right.





I use mostly olive oil for a sautee and either corn or canola for deep frying or when I don't want the flavor of olive (like when baking). I use peanut to stir fry.





I also occasionally use walnut or other nut oils for salad dressings.
I try to use the oil with a recognizable name such as corn, olive or canola oil. Who knows what is in vegetable oil except vegetables...
I think canola is healthier but I can't remember why. It's what I use though.
vegetable in my opinion canola's healthier

No comments:

Post a Comment